WIN Home Inspection offers the Home Energy Score (HES). The Home Energy Score (HES) was developed by the U.S. Department of Energy in 2012 and is a tool to learn how energy efficient your home is and provides recommendations (based upon your exact home) on how to improve your home's energy efficiency. Improving your home's energy efficiency equates to lower energy bills and increased interior comfort. Nearly all homes have room for improvement and the HES report can show you how to improve.
We will evaluate your home's systems (such as the installed insulation, heating/cooling equipment, water heater, windows, overall size, etc.) and, using the Dept. of Energy's special proprietary HES software, we provide you with your Home Energy Score report. The HES report estimates your home's energy use (including taking into account associated costs (such as lighting loads)), and provides energy solutions to cost-effectively improve your home's efficiency. Use the Home Energy Score Interactive Label to explore some of the information provided.
The Home Energy Score is shown on a simple 1-to-10 scale, with a 10 given to the most efficient homes. Your 'current score' shows your home's current rating whereas the 'score with improvements' indicates what your home's potential score would be if you follow all of the report's recommendations. The Home Energy Score calculates “Estimated annual savings” so you have an idea how your utility bills would be lowered if the recommendations provided are implemented. The savings amount is calculated using state average utility rates. The Home Energy Score report also provides recommendations on where improvements would be most cost effective.
Like a miles-per-gallon rating for a car, the Home Energy Score is based on a standard assessment of energy-related assets to easily compare energy use across the housing market.
Watch this short video to learn more:
Benefits of the Home Energy Score:
• Quicker and less expensive than a full energy audit
• Allows homeowners to learn about home energy performance and receive improvement recommendations including associated costs and savings benefits
• Takes into account the details of your specific home
• Allows homebuyers to compare a home’s energy performance before investing
• Scores homes throughout the U.S. on a nationally comparable 'apples-to-apples' scale. The Scoring Tool accounts for the local climate when calculating the ranking by using local weather station data determined by the home’s zip code
The Home Energy Score Is:
1. A standardized method for a quick yet reliable home assessment
2. An assessment of a home’s building envelope and major energy systems
3. An accurate comparison between homes, regardless of location in the U.S.
Overview of the Home Energy Score: http://betterbuildingssolutioncenter.energy.gov/home-energy-score/home-energy-score-about-scored
Since 2010, Home Energy Score reports have been performed on more than 90,000 homes nationwide. Read the Home Energy Score's Scoring Methodology on the tool and its assumptions.
See a sample Home Energy Score (HES) report by clicking on the graphic below:
Matthew Steger, owner/inspector of WIN Home Inspection, is an ASHI Certified Inspector (ACI), a Certified Level 1 Infrared Thermographer, an electrical engineer, a PA DEP licensed radon tester, and a US Dept. of Energy Certified Home Energy Score Assessor. He is fully PA Act 114 compliant. He can be reached at: 717-361-9467 or firstname.lastname@example.org. WIN Home Inspection has provided a wide array of home inspection services in the Lancaster, PA area since 2002.